Matt Sharp and Doug Terry deliver Bill Eskew a $200 million dollar verdict, the largest against a health insurer in the country. Read here for more details


Reno Elderly Attorney

Elder abuse comes in many forms and is often not readily apparent. But, unfortunately, elder abuse is pervasive and has many devastating consequences. Not only are the victims of elder abuse more likely to suffer physical and psychological injuries as a direct result of the abuse or neglect, but they also have a 300% higher risk of death than those who are not abused or neglected.

Reno elder abuse lawyer Matthew L. Sharp represents the victims of elder abuse and personal injury in claims against the wrongdoer. He will fight to keep you or your loved one safe and to obtain maximum money damages for any injuries sustained as a result of the elder abuse.

If you or a loved one has been the victim of elder abuse, contact his office at (775) 324-1500 to schedule a free consultation to learn more about your rights and options.

Facts about Elder Abuse

According to the Administration on Aging of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, elder abuse is “any knowing, intentional, or negligent act by a caregiver or any other person that causes harm or a serious risk of harm to a vulnerable adult.”

By some estimates, approximately 1.6 to 2 million seniors are the victim of elder abuse or neglect in the U.S. every year. According to Nevada’s Division of Elder Rights, a total of 5,562 elder abuse reports were investigated in Nevada during fiscal year 2013, with 28 percent of those reports substantiated.

As many as 1 in 10 elderly Americans has experienced some form of elder abuse, but only a fraction of the cases of elder abuse actually come to the attention of the appropriate authorities.

Most instances of elder abuse in Nevada – approximately 82 percent – involve abuse of the elderly in their own homes. The other 18 percent of substantiated claims in 2013 took place in a nursing home.

How to Stop Elder Abuse

Since elder abuse can be difficult to spot, it is important to be vigilant about the care that you and your loved ones receive. You can help stop elder abuse by choosing a nursing home facility or home health provider that is adequately staffed, promptly responds and communicates with patients and their families, has safe and accessible bathing facilities, and follows necessary safety guidelines.

You can be on the lookout for signs of elder abuse and neglect, such as bedsores, bruises, unkempt appearances, falls, fractured bones, and unexplained medical, emotional, or financial changes.

If you suspect elder abuse, you should immediately contact Nevada Elder Protective Services and an elder abuse attorney. Matthew Sharp is a Reno attorney for the elderly who will protect your rights, get you the medical care you need, and fight for maximum financial compensation for your injuries.

If you suspect that you or a loved one might be the victim of elder abuse, do not delay. Contact Matthew Sharp today at (775) 324-1500 for a free consultation to learn more about how to stop elder abuse and get the help that you need.