Reno Auto Liability Coverage Lawyer

If you have liability coverage, you should know what your insurance policy covers in case you get into an accident. And, if your insurance company fails to live up to its end of the contract, you should know that you have certain legal rights. To learn more about liability insurance claims, contact our law office today. We represent people in Reno and throughout the state of Nevada in automobile insurance claims involving wrongful claims denials and delays.

What Auto Liability Insurance Covers

Your automobile insurance policy provides liability coverage to pay the bills you owe when you have caused a car accident. It covers you for payments in cases where you crash:

  • Injured another person
  • Damaged another person’s property

Kinds of Automobile Insurance Coverage in Reno

There are four main types of automobile coverage in the state of Nevada. In addition to liability coverage, they are:

Nevada Requirements for Auto Liability Insurance

Automobile liability insurance is required by the state of Nevada to drive on public roads. If you drop your liability insurance for any reason, you must turn in your license plates and stop driving in the state. Your automobile registration papers must contain the name of at least one of the insured persons.

According to the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the minimum amounts of coverage required in Reno and the rest of the state for any one accident are:

  • $15,000 for injury to the body or death of any one person
  • $30,000 for injury to the body or death of two or more persons
  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others

What You Must Do If You Cancel Your Liability Insurance

The Nevada DMV lists the following requirements if you wish to cancel your insurance:

  • If your motor vehicle is no longer being used, you must cancel your Nevada registration before canceling your liability insurance.
  • If you sell your vehicle, you must remove your license plates before canceling your registration.
  • If you want to keep personalized plates, you need to take the rear plate to the DMV and scrape off the decal in person.

In terms of credit for your registration, when you register another vehicle, you will get credit for the unused part of the canceled registration or a refund in certain situations.

What Should You Do If Your Insurance Company Refuses to Pay?

If you are in an accident and your insurance company won’t pay for injuries to someone else or their property, you may contact the Nevada Insurance Division of Insurance at and ask about how to file a complaint. But, for effective personalized service you should contact an attorney who has experience dealing with recalcitrant insurance companies. An insurance bad faith lawyer who has been extremely successful in helping people get their insurers to pay what they are owed is Matthew L. Sharp.

Mr. Sharp is fully aware of the laws that govern automobile insurance in the state of Nevada. He helps individuals whose claims are unfairly denied or whose payments are delayed. If you believe that your auto insurance company is giving you the run around or is acting in bad faith, you can seek professional and experienced representation by contacting Mr. Sharp today. To schedule a consultation, email our law office or call (775) 324-1500.