If you have any questions about the scholarship, please call (847) 940-4000. Thank you for your cooperation.
We wish to thank the veterans of the United States Armed Forces and your immediate family members for your faithful service to our country. To assist in your transition back to civilian life we are offering a $1,000 scholarship to be used at the vocational or trade school, 2 or 4 year university, or graduate school of your choosing.
This scholarship is open to military veterans of the United States Armed Forces and immediate family members (parents, children) who will be enrolled in fall 2019 in an accredited community college or university (undergraduate or graduate), earning credits toward a degree (associate, baccalaureate, or graduate). Trade or vocational programs will also qualify.
- The applicant must complete the online form which appears below by July 15, 2019. Applications submitted via any other channel will not be considered.
- The applicant must give full rights for the use of the essay to the Law Office of Langer and Langer for any advertising or promotional purposes.
- The winner must provide proof of military service or if a family member, proof of the relationship to the veteran and proof of his/her service. The military member must have been discharged honorably.
- The winner consents to the use of his/her picture and other basic information on the winner page of the mattsharplaw.com website.
Write an essay on the following topic:
If you had to submit a family member to a nursing home, what accommodations would you be looking for? Create a check-list of “must-haves” for the nursing home. It should include safety measures and aspects to avoid.
Essay Format Requirements:
- The Essay must be 1,500 words or less.
- Post the essay to your blog. This can be a student blog on your university website or your own personal blog. If you do not have a blog, you can create one here for free: www.wordpress.com.
- Include at least three “clickable” links to authoritative sources. At least one of these has to go to an article on mattsharplaw.com. We added some below to get you started. Feel free to use different posts from our blog archive. Please note that the link to mattsharplaw.com must be “clickable,” meaning that it is not enough to simply cite to the post. (Quick tip: In order to make a link clickable, highlight the entire link, click “Command + K” on your keyboard).
- You must be listed as the author of the essay on the website and the blog post must be set to “public”.
- The work must be your own.
Students who give us a social-media shoutout will be credited with one bonus point per social-media channel. The shoutout should include a link to the mattsharplaw.com website and a tag (link) to our respective Social Media Account. Please use the hashtag #sharplawmilscholarship2019 so we can find your account easier.
This is how a post should looks like (Facebook example)
This is not a requirement and students without social media access will still be considered. Multiple shoutouts within the same social media channel are appreciated but will not result in additional points. We will not credit points for channels on which we are not active. Please find a list of our Social Media accounts below.
Announcement of The Winner
The decision of the committee is final. The winner will be notified via email or phone by September 1, 2019. The funds will be disbursed directly to the college or university to be used for tuition only. The winning essay may be published at mattsharplaw.com.
Our scholarship recipient will also be asked to submit a current photo to be published in an announcement to recognize this year’s winner on our website.
By submitting your application, you consent to Law Offices of Matthew L. Sharp publishing your essay and picture on mattsharplaw.com. Law Offices of Matthew L. Sharp has the sole right to resolve any disputes which may arise in the selection of the award winner. There will only be one award allotted.
To begin, please fill out the application below.