Matt Sharp and Doug Terry deliver Bill Eskew a $200 million dollar verdict, the largest against a health insurer in the country. Read here for more details

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it my right to decline homeowner’s insurance?

Yes. It is your legal right to own a home without homeowner’s insurance. However, if like most people, you’re buying a home by financing it with a mortgage, your mortgage lender will probably require you to get homeowners insurance because the lender wants to protect its interest in the property. You could also be required to get flood or earthquake insurance if you live in an area that is prone to such disasters. Many condo associations also require owners to have homeowner’s insurance.

I was injured on the job in Nevada. Do I have a right to workers' compensation?

Yes, Nevada has a worker’s compensation program. You should apply for worker’s comp for your injury or occupational disease within 7 days after it happens or after its diagnosis. If you are denied your worker’s comp claim, you have the right to appeal the decision. Such cases can be complex. If you feel that you need the guidance and assistance of an attorney to uphold your rights, contact Matthew Sharp.

If I change my job or if I become unemployed, do I have a right to bring my existing health insurance coverage with me?

Yes. If you switch jobs/employers, it’s your legal right to take your group health insurance coverage with you to the new job (for up to 18 months) under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). You’ll pay the full premium, but at a group rate that’s far less than individual rates for the same coverage. There are more details for the use of COBRA benefits, however; feel free to contact Matthew Sharp about these benefits.

If my insurer denies my claim, do I have any rights?

Yes. No matter what type of insurance policy you’re talking about – auto, health, homeowners, life, disability, etc. – your insurance policy almost certainly provides a way to appeal a denial. Check your policy, and call the insurance adjuster. You don’t have to take the word of an insurance adjuster about your denial. Keep a written record of everything related to your case, and contact our office for legal help.

I think that my insurer is acting in bad faith. Is there a time limit for me to start legal action regarding the bad faith?

Yes, there is a time limit within which you must file a suit for bad faith. Don’t get discouraged and fail to act within that time period. Contact an attorney as soon as you feel bad faith has occurred.

Can my insurer cancel my policy without reason?

An insurer can only cancel your policy under certain circumstances. For instance, you are obligated to pay your premium and if you fail to do so, an insurer may cancel your policy. The insurance policy itself should contain a section in which it details terms of cancellation. If you feel your insurance policy has been wrongly canceled, contact an attorney to find out about your rights.